Friday, June 8, 2012

The SMC Pentax-M 1:2 50mm

Thursday, June 7, 2012

This is another one of the many fabulous fifties out on the used market waiting.  This lens is plentiful, cheap as could be, and really a beginner 50mm.  I've seen them ranging from $1 for a neglected lens and no higher than $50 for one that has never been out of the box.  This lens was my first 50mm prime and it did the job.  This is my list of pros and cons for this budget 50.  Again, I'm using this lens on an APS-C sensored DSLR.


Pentax 50mm f/2
PROS:

+It's reasonably fast:  This lens will work well in well lit interior situations.
+It's pretty sharp: Mine is pretty good from f/4 through f/16.   My copy is actually usable at f/2, far sharper than the kit lens even wide open.
+Bokeh: It has it and it is usably good - This lens will work for creating stunning bokeh in just the right situations.  Don't be afraid to get close to your subject and use pinpoint light sources.  If you have to back off too much you might end up disappointed.  There is a fine line between distance, f/2, and background with this lens, so you may have to move around a little it.  Think of this as a creativity spurring lens.
+It's small:  This lens is a little one.  While not a pancake, it's pretty handy when you have limited space.  It's about the same in weight as the kit 18-55.
+Warmth:  This is by far and away my warmest lens.  The colors work well for still life and living subjects.  It's not overbearing, but it is definitely not cold.
+Meters consistently:  This lens meters consistently on my camera, but is almost always about a stop on the high side, making most images I take with it around one stop underexposed.  This can be corrected by reviewing and resetting, or getting a long lens hood, at least as long as the lens body.  just something you get used to with a fully manual lens on a modern DSLR body.
+Price point:  This lens is for those poor folks out there.  Trust me, you can find one for less that you'd pay to rent a movie sometimes.


Focusing and aperture ring (f/2-22)

CONS:

-Not always easy to focus:  For me anyway.  This lens is a little dark at times for the depth of field when you are wide open.  I find the f/1.4 much easier to focus because of this.  If you have enough light to work with, this isn't even noticeable.
-Leaves you wanting:  You will want more of everything - speed, sharpness, etc., once you use this lens.  It will make you obsess over finding better lenses.
-Only semi-versatile:  you'll find after a while that this lens is only so capable.  You will run into lots of lower light situations where it just doesn't quite get it done. 

MISCONCEPTIONS:

I think there are some common misconceptions about this lens.

1. It's a junk kit lens: Sorry, but it is not.  This is a great starting 50 for those on a budget.  I recommend finding it and honing your skills with it before upgrading to a faster lens.  You will make better use of lighting, subject, and develop a better understanding of you own and your equipment's capabilities with this lens if you are a beginner.  You also won't be afraid to take this lens places that you won't want to take pricier glass.

2. It's not sharp at f/2: I challenge you to find any zoom lens as sharp as this prime for the $$.$$.  You won't because there isn't one as cheap.  There are sharper alternatives in prime land, but you'll pay a little more for them.

3.  It's poorly constructed.  Mine sure isn't.  There is plenty of metal and glass inside this baby.  It's a tough lens.  The front glass is well protected (it's fairly recessed), so you won't likely scratch it or fingerprint it up in your day to day fun.  It's also tough.  I have abused mine and it still acts like the first day I got it.

My Take:

If you just bought your first Pentax DSLR and want to expand your lens collection on a budget, this lens is for you.  It will surprise you with it's vibrance, accuracy, and color rendition.  Plus, if you fumble it on the pavement somewhere, it probably won't break, and short of dropping it in a lake, it should give you a good service life.

2 comments:

  1. Ours hit the ground and did not break. Still works great. I have an adaptor for my Canon EOS t3i. I found that because it is a manual lens I can only use my video setting and take images that way. Any other setting I cant get a view on my digital view finder. Works great in low light.

    ReplyDelete