Monday, June 11, 2012

The SMC Pentax-DAL 1:3.5-5.6 18-55mm AL


This is the standard kit lens for any number of modern Pentax DSLR bodies. This lens is a fully automatic lens.  I've seen them on Ebay for $40 to $80 rather consistently.  With a zoom range of 18-55mm you'll be able to use this for most everyday shooting.





PROS:


+It's Cheap:  There are plenty.  And if one didn't come with your body, It would be easy to acquire.
+It's light:  This lens won't hurt your neck if you keep it on your camera all day long.
+Reasonably sharp: For a kit zoom lens, it's not bad.  I's sharper than some of my off-brand primes.
+Quick AF: While not astoundingly fast, this lens does auto-focus quickly.



CONS:

-Lots of barrel distortion at 18mm:  You'll find yourself straightening horizons from your vacation with this lens at 18mm.
-It's cold:  This lens is pretty cold.  Noticeably so.
-Loud AF:  So the next time your trying to be quite with your camera and you half press the shutter release, everyone will notice you.




MISCONCEPTIONS:

So there might actually be a couple of misconceptions about this lens so here goes!

1. It's a kit zoom, like those 80's one's:  This lens is SO much better than those 80's zooms in all respects.  


My Take:

It came with my camera, and if I'm just carrying one around to shoot my family or friends, this is the one I take.

No comments:

Post a Comment